Notarial fees vary and are based on the following factors:
- The type of transaction undertaken
- The complexity of the documents
- The number of persons appearing before the notary
- Whether the appointment is provided at short notice
- The time taken to prepare the notarial act
- Other relevant factors
An estimated cost can often be provided by phone if a detailed description of the transaction is given. Sometimes it is necessary for the notary to see the documents before an accurate fee estimate is offered.
Charges are not solely calculated by reference to the time taken to complete the work, but where there is a time element, it is usually based on the rates chargeable by a senior commercial lawyer.